Fremont Lodge No. 97, A.F. & A.M.
On January 25, 1894, thirteen Master County, Colorado, requested a dispensation Lodge under the name of “Fremont Lodge.”
The dispensation was granted on March 27, 1894 by Most Worshipful Grand Master Jethro C. Sanford who appointed J. W. Rambo, Worshipful Master.
Fremont Lodge U. D. was first opened on the evening of April 4, 1894. It rented the Knights of Pythias Hall for a meeting place.
Fremont Lodge No. 97 received its charter on September 19, 1894 and was constituted by Past Grand Master William T. Bridwell with nineteen charter members.
On July 30, 1895, it assisted the Grand Lodge in laying the corner-stone of the J. McCandless High School of Florence.
In October 1895, the lodge moved to the Union Hall on East Main Street and in June, 1903, to the Rogers Block, 200 E. Main Street.
The Florence State Bank Building was purchased for the future home of the Lodge in December, 1914, and after considerable remodelling No. 97 held its first meeting in the new home on May 4, 1915.
The formal celebration of the Golden Anniversary of Fremont Lodge No. 97 was held on December 26, 1944. The program, designed for a mixed group, was marked by an address “Highlights of the Lodge” and concluded with a variety show of local talent.
The Grand Lodge record as of November 30, 1960 shows a membership of 191