Blackhawk Lodge No. 11, A.F. & A.M.
BLACK HAWK, COLORADO
The first meeting of record of Black Hawk Lodge U. D. was held February 17, 1866 by virtue of dispensation issued by Grand Master of Masons for the Territory of Colorado, Andrew Mason. He appointed Brother Chase Withrow, Worshipful Master; Brother H. M. Orahood, Senior Warden; and Brother J. W. Nesmith, Junior Warden. The following Brethren were appointed officers, J. W. Currier, Treasurer; J. S. Taylor, Secretary; John Baylon, Senior Deacon; E. W. Wurtzbach, Junior Deacon; G. W. Fairhurst, Senior Steward; Zepha Myers, Junior Steward; Alonzo Smith, Tyler. At this first meeting three petitions for membership were received, namely: Mr. J. W. Ritchie, Mr. F. B. Hurlburt and Mr. F. A. Rudolph. The lodge was named after the city of Black Hawk. On October 1, 1866, Black Hawk Lodge was granted a Charter by the Grand Lodge. The Worshipful Master was H. M. Orahood.
Two of our Grand Masters have come from the ranks of Black Hawk Lodge, M. W. Brother Chase Withrow and M. W. Brother Harper Orahood. M. W. Brother Chase Withrow was serving the Grand Lodge as Senior Grand Warden and Grand Master at the same time he was Master of Black Hawk Lodge No. 11. He was elected and served as Master of Black Hawk Lodge, fifty years later. There were twenty-two signers for dispensation.
Black Hawk Lodge, November 30th, 1960 had 62 members.