Dispensation granted March 22, 1882.
Charter granted September 20, 1882.
Consolidated with Ionic Lodge No. 35.
The first meeting was held Feb. 8, 1882 under dispensation of the M.W. Grand Lodge of Colorado. There were present the following who were appointed to their respective stations and places: W. R. Howell, W.M.; T. R. Jones, S.W.; John Marshall, J.W.; R. J. Valkenburg, Treas.; Wm. O. Van Elten, Sec’y; J. J. Wharton, S.D.; E. Davis, J.D.; J. Brodie, S.S.; Charles Sharratt, J.S.; J. Knox, Tiler. Others were Allen McNamee, Wm. Barrowman and S. J. Plumb.
Charter dated Sept. 20, 1882. Signed by Frank Church, M.W.G.M.; Lewis H. Bowman, D.G.M.; W. M. Widderfield, S.G.W.; J. H. Peabody, J.G.W.; Edwin C. Parmelee, G. Sec’y. Charter members were: Wm. R. Howell, R. J. Valkenburg, Wm. Barrowman, T. R. Jones, Charles Sharratt, Joseph J. Morgan, Allen McNamee, John Bowker, John Marshall, George E. Grenfell, S. J. Plumb, E. A. Craft.
As far as can be ascertained the Brothers of Garfield Lodge No. 50 met in the Odd Fellows Hall in Erie, the same place in which they now meet.
Some of the old minute books are missing.
Late Brother Wm. Whiles was Grand Tiler in 1937.
Membership, 1960 81
BUENA VISTA, COLORADO
In the fall of 1881 several prominent men of Buena Vista and the immediate area began to talk in separate groups of two or more about organizing a lodge of Free and Accepted Masons in Buena Vista. A tentative survey was made by interested persons and it was determined that there were at least twenty-one Master Masons from Grand Jurisdictions extending from Maine and Vermont to Illinois, Nebraska, Ohio, Louisiana, Wyoming and Colorado. An informal meeting was called for the evening of October 7, 1881 at the Odd Fellows Hall to discuss the idea. All twenty-one persons present were in unanimous agreement to organize. The first order of business was to appoint a committee to solicit money from each person to purchase furnishings and a second committee to arrange for a meeting place. The meeting was then adjourned to October 12, 1881.
This Lodge was granted dispensation November 26, 1881 and chartered September 20, 1882, worked a few years and then consolidated with Washington Lodge No. 12. Washington kept the No. 12 and the name Georgetown was used, making the lodge, Georgetown Lodge No. 12. (See No. 12′s History.)
Breckenridge Lodge was granted a special dispensation by the Grand Lodge of Colorado, Aug. 27, 1881, with Worshipful Brother John Boylan acting as Worshipful Master. On Sept. 20, 1882 it was chartered with John Boylan as Worshipful Master, W. F. Eberline as Senior Warden, C. H. Blair as Junior Warden; L. B. Smart, R. H. Manzing, Roderick Mineun and F. B. Walles all as charter members.
The town of Durango was platted and laid out in the year of 1880. On a day in early spring 1881, Captain William C. Davidson chanced into conversation with two men, Charles M. Hilliker and John C. Miles. It became apparent during this conversation that each was a member of the Craft, whereupon it was agreed that a survey among the male members of the town would be made to determine the number of Masons therein. More than thirty claimed Masonic affiliation.
The population of Boulder mushroomed from 363 in 1868 to 3,063 in 1880. And just twelve years and seven months after Columbia No. 14 moved to Boulder, twenty Master Masons petitioned for a new lodge.
The first recorded minutes of No. 44 are dated May 19th, 1881 with Albert Adler as Worshipful Master and Thomas M. Finley as Secretary. At this meeting two Petitions were presented. Brother M. Borosh was the first candidate to receive the three degrees. On November 5th of the same year, this Lodge received its Charter. The first Masonic Funeral was held two years later, May 1883.
Eagle Lodge No. 43 was formed at Mitchell, a now-extinct town on the western side of Tennessee Pass. The initial membership, so far as anyone knows, was drawn from the miners, lumbermen and railroaders who were opening up Eagle County. Most of the history relating to its dispensation, and the date of its petition for dispensation, have been lost to our records. The dispensation was issued on April 20, 1881 by Grand Master Lawrence N. Greenleaf.
On April 16, 1881, a dispensation was granted to Corinthian, No. 42 and sponsored by Ionic Lodge No. 35 of Leadville. The officers were John N. Harder, W.M.; F. H. Sutherland, S.W.; Albert L. Ordeau, J .W.; and B. C. Ross, Secretary. Their first meeting U.D. was May 3, 1881. On September 19, 1881, the Charter was read and Corinthian Lodge No. 42 duly opened by J. M. Fox acting for Grand Master Robert A. Quillian.